Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Boy am I a slacker!?

Wow...I sure don't "blog" much huh? Maybe I should make that my New Year's resolution? So, I'm sure many things have happened that I haven't blogged about so I guess I will ramble now...

October 28, 2008...My mom was told by her doctor that she had lung cancer. I didn't want to believe this news until she had the biopsy done. Her appointment for the small needle biopsy was on November 6th and her test results did come back "positive" for cancer. I did not find out that she had Stage 4 lung cancer until we went to her appointment with the Oncologist on the November 24th. That day I found out she had Stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to her bones and liver and was told that her cancer was incurable.

She really didn't want to go through chemo, but I'm glad that she did change her mind. I went with her to her first treatment on December 4th. Wow what a long day that is sitting there, bag after bag of poison, nausea meds and saline going through one's body. I think we got there at 8am and left a little after 5pm. She took the treatment well but the next night (Friday) she started getting sick. She told me that she was sick Friday night, every bone in her body ached and was sick and couldn't sleep all Saturday, Sunday she felt a little better and was sick again Monday. She was finally better on Tuesday. I can't imagine being in pain and sick for 4 days in a row. She was pretty much ready to give up on chemo after that experience.

She had an appointment on the 16th to get her blood count tested and those results came back good.

Mom started loosing her hair around the 23rd and was able to get a wig from the American Cancer Society. Luckily they had one that fit her style...red, short and spiky. She was completely bald by the 26th.

She went to her second chemo treatment on December 31st. Once again, started getting sick Friday night. Yesterday she had to go into the center to have an IV put in so that they could give her fluids. She had now been throwing up for 4 days and had not been able to eat. Speaking to her this morning she is still not 100% better, but is at least eating a little this morning.

You know, I never really knew a whole lot about cancer before my mom was diagnosed. I mean, my gma had Melanoma and had a couple of surgeries to have that removed but I guess I wasn't overly involved and had not done much research with her sickness. I hate that people have to have this sickness and it is so unfair to think "Why her? What did she do? Why is it that people can smoke like a fiend and they don't get lung cancer, but my mom a nonsmoker has lung cancer?" I don't wish cancer or any other disease on anyone mind you. I just can't imagine what she is going through.

On a lighter note...Christmas was good. Got some Hello Kitty things :) Always a good thing. But our "Christmas Crack" has been the Wii that we got from Mike's mom. OMG! That thing is addictive. We first bought "Guitar Hero" and played that for a couple of nights. Fun as hell! Then I kept seeing an ad on tv for "Animal Crossing"...OMG...OK, I didn't get dressed on Saturday because I was playing that damn game all freakin' day long! So needless to say, I haven't done a lot of knitting or anything for that matter since buying that game. Sarah, a co-worker of mine also has the game and we play with each other via the Internet through the Wii system. It is fun to have another "nerd" that plays and we discuss things at work. I guess we don't get much done at work either?! :)

4 comments:

Christy said...

My sister has also started cracking out on Animal Crossing. Weird. Seems like everyone I know is playing that game!

Ria said...

I'm beginning to think I should get a wii...

Seriously, thoughts and prayers out to your mom.

Jenny McB said...

I played a Wii last weekend, the Wii fit and now I want one. The kids have all the systems, why not me?

Yea,cancer sucks big time, but treatments and care have a come a long way. Rather than tell you to go home and suck it up, oncologists usually try to make it better for the patient. Hang in there!

Gina said...

I think every blogger has a hiatus or two during the life of their blogs. I sure haven't been very regular lately, lol.

I stayed with a friend for a couple months just before Christmas, and he had a Wii. I was sad to leave my Mii behind when I moved out. It's such an addictive game system!

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how is your mom doing?

I hope all is well for you and your family!